Anchors don ugly Christmas sweaters: Whose was the worst?

'Tis the season ... for ugly Christmas sweaters!

Once an endearing gift from a well-meaning grandma, hideous jumpers have become a fad, spawning booming businesses, Facebook groups and sweater parties.

Savannah picked out some especially gnarly knits for our anchors and a few guests (Brian Williams and Matt Damon got roped in, as well as our crew and the entire control room). Check out the pics below and vote in our poll: Whose sweater is the ugliest?

Upload your own photos of ugly Christmas sweaters. TODAY.com posted some of the worst offenders

TODAY

TODAY

TODAY

TODAY

TODAY

TODAY

TODAY

TODAY

People.com

Discuss this post

As a person who has unabashadly worn Christmas sweaters (note no "uglly") for 30 years I would like to say this.... I think all you who are now pretending that you want to wear these sweaters as a joke are posers. I think you all have secretly wanted to wear them all along, but did not have the personal confidence to do so! Merry Christmas and keep wearing your holiday spirit!!!!!

• 6 votes
Reply#1 - Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:01 AM EST

I have never wanted to.

However, Merry CHRISTmas and continue to enjoy your own sense of style:)

• 4 votes
#1.1 - Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:05 PM EST

Ugly Christmas sweaters? Maybe for hip 'n trendy New York. I love the ones worn by Matt Lauer, Ann Curry and Brian Williams. I will gladly take them off their hands.

• 2 votes
Reply#2 - Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:57 AM EST

Y'know, I think Brian's wouldn't have been so bad if it didn't clash so badly with his tie. They were all...interesting, but I'd say it was mostly the guys' sweaters that were truly ugly. Some of the girls' sweaters were kinda cute. In a...freaky, overdone way.

Reply#3 - Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:36 AM EST

Ugly? No. Busy and loud? Definitely. I don't wear this type of thing but I'm always amused by them. The look on Damon's face is priceless.

• 5 votes
    Reply#4 - Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:55 AM EST

I agree with fatibel. I can just imagine Matt is thinking, "I got up early in the morning to do THIS?" Also, I think Matt Laur's sweater is the only one I can picture a man wearing, maybe with a turtleneck. The rest are too feminine. Just shows what good sports those guys are ! But hey, it's Christmas.

#4.1 - Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:31 PM EST

Brian Williams makes anything look Good. As for the Ugly Christmas Sweaters I have always detested them. They are HIDEOUS!, and no, I would not wear it even if its a trend...But to the most wonderful time of the Year I say to everyone

Ho, Ho,Ho Merry CHRISTmas!! :)

• 1 vote
      Reply#5 - Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:02 PM EST

Glad to see there's an ugly Chanukah sweater, too. The smiling dreidels are a hoot!

• 5 votes
      Reply#6 - Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:32 PM EST

I thought the same! I've seen ugly Easter sweaters, ugly Halloween sweaters, but that's the first ugly Chanukah sweater I've encountered. She should get extra credit for digging that one up.

• 1 vote
      #6.1 - Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:40 AM EST

love the smiling dreidels

#6.2 - Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:24 AM EST

HEY! It appears that Matt Damon took the sweater from one of the staff members (see last picture) - that is cheating MATT - you have to get your OWN ugly sweater. o<|:o) (that is suppose to be a Santa hat with a happy face.) Sad.

Reply#7 - Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:36 PM EST

Looks like Brian Williams did too-look at the girl behind the girl with the Hanukkah sweater! That IS the vest that Brian Williams is wearing! I bet Matt borrowed his from a female staffer too!

#7.1 - Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:36 PM EST

Hee hee...that is SO not a girl behind the Hanukkah sweater :) LOL!!

• 1 vote
            #7.2 - Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:04 PM EST

How could anything be UGLY on Christmas?? Merry Christmas everyone. GOD Bless our Military & Families, AND A brighter New YEAR>

• 1 vote
            Reply#8 - Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:43 PM EST

I think that no matter what the design, Christmas sweaters look kind of "girly"! Men should not try this look ever.

• 2 votes
            Reply#9 - Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:34 PM EST

Yesterday was bad Christmas clothes day at my daughters high school. Unfortunately she was able to find stuff to wear in my wife's closet.

• 2 votes
            Reply#10 - Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:38 PM EST

I like them all, I wish I knew where she got them from!

Reply#11 - Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:43 PM EST

I must say I love the Hannukah one! Now that's priceless!

• 2 votes
              Reply#12 - Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:06 PM EST

First, I’ve been hooked on the Today Show since I was a college frosh - a LONG time ago. My fan status aside, WHAT were you all thinking of this morning?

First, the Ugly Sweater story: urban, east coast, high earning, fashionista arrogance? You definitely were not thinking of offending & hurting the feelings of a large part of your demographic, e.g., people in "fly-over" states, non-fashionista soccer moms, grandmoms & whoever remains in the "don't wanna be 'wanna be ironic hipsters' " middle class? MANY people actually LIKE those sweaters, (& darned green bean casserole). Can we say church potlucks & PTSAs? Trust me, my mom & aunties like those sweaters.

Second, framing the artsy "off the grid" folks as the poster family for cheap living? They are exactly why people that would benefit from universal health care are dead-set against it. While Tea Partiers, Seniors (especially those still working), the "jes'bout'gone" middle class, working poor, two-earner households, single parents & "regular folks" slog daily to jobs they detest, in life-shortening commutes – forced to set aside their creative, family, spiritual, health & personal growth priorities, because THEY don't make a "lifestyle choice"(excuse me, but that deserves a WTF!) to live in a fab home on or near a beach (inherited?) because THEY CAN'T? Why? - Because they are PROVIDING rather than TAKING state-provided health insurance!

Wake up & smell your organic, shade grown, free trade, freshly ground coffee in the latte/mocha/ frappe/ espresso drink of your choice. Maxwell House sippers do NOT like people not choosing to work & benefitting from it. Has everyone in the media forgotten their roots or lost your minds? If the Great Undecided continually are characterized as the Great, Ignorant, Unwashed, I am holding the East & West Coasts responsible for voters electing some hypocritical bombast as the next POTUS.

Reply#13 - Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:50 PM EST

Opps, that last was supposed to be -- choosing not to work & benefitting.......

Reply#14 - Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:52 PM EST

Finally a story where the headline mentions the big season finale, CHRISTMAS. Thank you from my tradition-bound, laced eggnog drinking heart. MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR'S!

• 1 vote
                  Reply#15 - Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:48 PM EST

My mother happens to own at least 2 if not 3 of the sweaters pictured here. Oy.

Reply#16 - Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:10 PM EST
                    You're in Easy Mode. If you prefer, you can use XHTML Mode instead.
                    As a new user, you may notice a few temporary content restrictions. Click here for more info.